Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Impressive. Ubuntu 10.04 supports most mobile broadband USB sticks out-of-the-box.

Ubuntu shows again how an excellent operating system behave in normal activities. I have a HSUPA mobile broadband modem from a carrier from Romania (I don't mention its name), and I wanted to connect it to my Ubuntu-based computer, just to see if it works and if there are any additional steps that need to be done in order to get it working.

So I connected it, and after about 10 seconds (after the modem has been initialized), I was really surprised to see that Ubuntu supports out-of-the-box this kind broadband modems. As Ubuntu documentation says (here), the operating system supports most 3G sticks and even phones with HSPA/UMTS/GPRS data connections. I was asked to answer a few things only (country and data plan, where I selected "default") after I connected it for the first time.

I mention that I use Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 2, with Network Manger 0.8 and the USB stick is a Huawei MF110.

No comments:

Post a Comment